By 96five Friday 10 Feb 2012
The Challenge = to live without my iPhone, iPad and iPod after work hours for a week.
Not an easy thing to do, and the realisation that we are so reliant on the social media side of life is a little scary. I admit I use the net, google, wiki and twitter on a minute by minute basis. And to take a step back and see what Ive really been missing made me ashamed of the things I could be doing with my time
I love technology, being able to live in the now, instantly accessing what I need ,want, desire online at the click of a button. Our lives are better off today than they were , more than ever before. But the cost of what im missing by having my finger on the latest Iphone app has scared me off my 24/7 usage.
Will I give up technology after this week-long, self-inflicted ban? No. But will I cut back like a jittery 8 cups of coffee a day man to 5 or 6,, Yes. We need mod cons, they make life easier, faster and they help us. But dont let life pass you buy with your head in a screen and miss the stuff that will warm your heart in 30 years time
THE TOP 5 THINGS I LEARNT WHILST I WAS COLD TURKEY ON TECHNOLOGY.
- My wife likes it when I listen to her, dont say anything, try to fix things, but just sit there and let her purge, uninterrupted.
- My kids absolutely love watching old home movies of themselves when they were even younger than they are right now. I could watch them watching and laughing at themselves for hours.
- Stretching yourself and not checking on Wiki where I know that actor from, rather trying even harder to remember manually. It makes your think for yourself and gives your brain a good work-out
- Not rushing my kids through the shower taught me they love to hosed down with freezing cold water, they cant get enough of it. The sounds of their little squeals and pleas for Daddy to stop it ( even though they keep asking me to do it) is priceless.
- The sky is actually a beautiful shade of blue, the trees look greener after it rains and food tastes better when your kids help you cook it. Life is good, dont miss the small stuff. Cause you cant get that stuff back .
Although you can usually find some techy mate to help you reload your phone settings and back up your memory if your gadget is dropped, broken or lost. Drop the ball in the every day things, and theres no way to reboot, back up or Save As the little gems of the journey once the power goes out in life.