From supermodels to nutritionists, weve all heard that we should start our day with a glass of water flavoured with fresh lemon slices but why?
“I drink a glass of warm water with the juice of half an organic lemon each morning. Warm lemon water in the morning helps kick start the digestion process for the morning. It’s also a morning ritual that cleanses the system, boosts your immune system and balances pH levels because lemons are very alkalising. They are also abundant in vitamin C, which promotes health and healing.”– Miranda Kerr, Australian supermodel and busy mum
Heres 10 simple reasons why lemon water is good for you.
- It cleanses your liver, stimulates your liver to release toxins and helps it to produce more enzymes than any other type of food. No need for expensive toxin reducing green teas, God made it easy to release toxins with the simplest (and cheapest) of ingredients.
- Its good for your joints and helps to reduce pain in joints and muscles. Weve all had that post workout next day muscle pain
- It helps you make it through colds and flu season. The anti-inflamatory properties in lemons helps fight sore throats, infections of the respiratory tract and inflammation of the tonsils.
- Itll regulate your system and help with natural bowel movements.
- An apple a day might keep the doctor away, but just one lemon a day can reduce high blood pressure by 10%!
- Multiple studies have found that due to lemons having high alkaline levels, they help to prevent cancer. Cancer cannot thrive in an alkaline environment.
- It helps you lose weight! Lemons contain a natural appetite suppressant called pectin fibre. Studies have proven that people with a good amount of alkaline in their diet lose weight faster.
- Water with lemon cleanses blood, blood vessels and arteries.
- It has high levels of potassium which helps keep your nervous system running properly. Depression and anxiety is often caused by low levels of potassium in the blood.
- If youre pregnant, not only is lemon water good for you, but its also good for your baby. Lemons are full of Vitamin C which helps keep you healthy and helps with the formation of bone tissue in unborn babies.
To make sure you get the maximum benefit out of your glass of lemon water, use half a glass of warm purified or spring water, then squeeze in the juice half a lemon. Plus, make sure that you drink your lemon water on an empty stomach, and some experts recommend waiting for 1 hour after drinking before having your first meal of the day.
Photo via freeimages.com