Ten years ago Change the Heart started as a small prayer gathering ahead of the January 26 Australia Day public holiday.
Spearheaded by First Nations Christian Leader Aunty Jean Phillips alongside Lea Maslen, the prayer services grew into a national event, with gatherings held in every state and territory.
Since 2017, Change the Heart has been supported by Common Grace, a grassroots Australian Christian movement that has justice at its core.
Brooke Prentis is a proud Wakka Wakka woman, an Aboriginal Christian Leader and the CEO of Common Grace. She told 96five’s Alex Milne that alongside seeking justice for Australia’s First Nations people, Common Grace was focused on a number of other areas.
“It’s not just Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander justice; it’s also creation and climate justice, justice for people seeking asylum and refugees, as well as domestic and family violence.
“When Common Grace was birthed in line with the movement of being in tune with Jesus back in 2014, they were four key areas the church wasn’t really speaking into,” said Ms Prentis. “A call to justice is found through all things Jesus said and those areas are particularly relevant to Christians in Australia.”
Common Grace has grown to over 50,000 members nationally, who as Ms Prentis says, are pursuing Jesus and justice.
“People are now looking to be in solidarity and in friendship, and from a Christian perspective how to love their Aboriginal neighbour, and finding a great place to be able to do that with Common Grace.”
This year the Change the Heart prayer service will be broadcast nationally on ACCTV, online via the Common Grace website as well as being simulcast on a number of radio stations including 96five. The simulcast will begin at 6:30pm (QLD time), and will be an opportunity for Australia to unite in prayer, and to call for justice for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
“Change the Heart is a unique opportunity to be led by some of our Aboriginal Christian leaders,” Ms Prentis said. “We can all come together across the nation in this one moment, in unison on the 25th of January.”
Get involved with the 2022 Change the Heart prayer service on January 25:
- Watch the service on ACCTV at 6:30pm (QLD time), or via the Change the Heart website.
- Tune in to 96five at 6:30pm for the simulcast.
- Watch in person at one of the local screenings in and around Brisbane (host venues are responsible for managing COVID safety and compliance).
- Breakthrough Church Springfield, Carole Park QLD, Website Email
- St Andrew’s Anglican Church of Indooroopilly, Indooroopilly QLD, Email
- Withcott Church of Christ, Withcott QLD, Website Email
- Arana Hills Church of Christ, Arana Hills QLD, Website
- Holy Hermits Online, Brisbane QLD, Website
- Maleny Anglican Church, Maleny QLD, Website Email
- St James Anglican Church, Toowoomba QLD, Website Email
Listen to the full interview with Brooke in the audio player at the top of the page.