Ken, Nicky and Steve crashed the breakfast routine of 3 families in October to chat, sit around the brekky table and cook them breakfast, and when we say “cook” we mean they brought a qualified chef with them.
Vanilla Zulu’s Chef Mel Townsend and her team cooked up a gourmet breakfast feast, the smell in the kitchen was overwhelming that the neighbours popped over for a hopeful taste test and they were not disappointed.
Chef Mel gave tips on how to cook bacon in 3 different ways she made them poached eggs, panna cotta, polenta, even eatable flowers.
At the Brighton household, Rebecca was loving someone else cooking in her kitchen – and invited Mel to come back for dinner.
What a fun mornings Ken, Nicky and Steve had. Thank you to everyone who nominated their homes.
If you heard Chef Mel cooking the breakfast feast and wanted the recipe for her Blueberry and apple muffins with almond bling she has kindly left it with us below.
Blueberry and apple muffins with nutmeg and almonds
- 1?2?cup butter or 1?2 cup margarine, at room temperature
- 1 ?cup sugar
- 2 ?large eggs
- 1 ?teaspoon vanilla extract or paste, or pod scraped
- 2 ?teaspoons baking powder
- 1?4?teaspoon salt
- 2 ?cups plain flour
- 1?2?cup milk
- 1?2?cups fresh blueberries or 1?2 cups frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup grated apple
2 tablespoons sliced almonds to decorate
Icing sugar to sprinkle once baked
- Pre-heat the oven to 180c
- Grease 18 regular-size muffin cups (or 12 large size muffins).
- Whisk butter and sugar in a bowl with the whisk attachment until creamy, pale and fluffy.
- Add eggs, vanilla, flour, baking powder and salt.
- Fold in blueberries and apple and mix through.
- Spoon into muffin cups and sprinkle almond topping onto each muffin.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes, until golden brown and springy to touch. Decorate with icing mixture sprinkle!
Check out Vanillazulu.com.au if you are interested in their cooking classes and more!